When I first started blogging I really had no idea what I was doing. For the first year, I think I just posted and had my google adsense ads installed and just went with it.
I finally decided after the first year, I wanted to make money and take my blogging seriously. I started reading lots of blogs and eBooks about blogging. I have learned so much and I want to share a few blogging tips with you, if you are a newbie, that will hopefully help you in your blogging journey.
*This post may contain affiliate links*
5 Blogging Tips for Newbies
1. Best Blogging Platform
When I first started blogging, I started with Blogger/Blogspot, but then after all the reading I was doing when learning all about blogging, I realized I wanted to take my blogging more seriously.
I was told that I should be using Self-Hosted WordPress. I started reading about it and quickly moved everything over, and I am so glad I did.
If you want to have more control over your blog, I highly recommend jumping right into WordPress, you won’t regret it.
Related: How To Start a WordPress Blog
2. Must Have WordPress Plugins
I have experimented with many plugins, some I love and some I don’t. Having too many plugins can slow down your site so I recommend 20 or less.
Here are a few plugins that I think are a must have when blogging.
- Social Warfare
- W3 Total Cache or WP Super Cache
- WordPress Editorial Calendar
- WP Smush
- Yoast SEO
3. Blogging eBooks for Newbies
I have a read a few really good eBooks about blogging, there is so much wonderful and helpful information in them that have helped me a lot.
Here are a couple of Kindle eBooks that I have read.
I also recommend reading Blogging on the Side – Where Passion and Profit Meet, this is one that I have on my list to start reading soon because I have heard it’s a very good book.
4. Blogging eCourses for Newbies
I recently decided that I wanted to dip into eCourses to further my learning, it’s been 3 years since I have started my blog but I do learn something everyday and you will definitely love these eCourses.
- Monetize45 – I have recently taken this eCourse and it has taught me a lot about making money from my blog
- IBN for Beginners – If you are a newbie blogger, I highly recommend this course to get you started.
5. Designing Graphics for your Blog
I have been making my own graphics for my blog for awhile now. Using these resources, you make make some beautiful graphics for your posts and even your own logo.
- PicMonkey – I love this website. It is very easy to use. You can design, edit, touchup and even do a collage. They do have a free version but if you want all of the fonts and other options, it is only a cheap $4.99 a month which is totally worth every penny.
- Canva – This is another website that I love. I have designed many graphics using this. They have photos you can use to design, free ones and the others are only $1.00 each. They have a free version of the program or you can you Canva for Work which is great for your brand.